Overview of the Oil
& Gas Industry in Western Canada
May 1st and 2nd, 2013
This popular two-day course is particularly effective for those
technical personnel just joining the oil patch, or for financial,
accounting or information systems personnel who work closely with,
or in oil and gas companies. New geologists, engineers, geophysicists,
landmen and technologists, as well as summer students, entering
the industry for the first time will find the course a very beneficial
introduction to the petroleum industry. You will gain a better understanding
of your role and relationship with other associated disciplines
within the petroleum industry. The knowledge learned from this course
is immediately transferable to the workplace. Participants receive
a comprehensive manual, which includes a glossary of oil and gas
terms, perform course exercises and examine industry related material
such as rocks, maps and pertinent illustrations.
In this two-day course, we follow the evolution of one prospect,
through all of its stages, i.e. land acquisition, seismic, drilling,
development, etc. This course will review:
- Past and future direction and challenges of the industry
- The many facets of the oil and gas industry
- The jargon of the oil patch
- Where oil and gas is found in Canada today
- The sequence of developing an oil and gas prospect
- The requirements for finding oil and gas
- Land acquisition and deal making
- The contribution of seismic
- Drilling and completion of wells
- How wells are produced
- Field development and reserve evaluations
- We will also review the advances in technology such as horizontal drilling and multi-stagefracc'ing
- Integrate environmantal concerns, and discuss the pricing & marketing of oil & gas
What People Say:
"…a helpful introduction for newcomers to the oil patch."
"A very comprehensive introduction to the world of oil and
gas exploration and is the perfect introduction for investors of
"Excellent binder materials, presentation skills, handouts,
samples, and value received for cost of the course. I did not feel
overwhelmed but rather I was learning just what I wanted to. Lots
of 'oh, that’s how it works'!"
"As an office manager new to the industry it was imperative
that I be educated in the business - very informative, well prepared
and delivered. I wanted what was described in the course title and
received exactly that - an overview."
"Well done! Bill presents himself well as an expert and veteran
in the business - very credible. Excellent. One of the best presenters
I ever had."
"I've heard very positive feedback from everyone I know who
has taken this course and they've highly recommended it. I will
"Most enjoyable! Such a wealth of information"
"The course will be useful in my job. Just wish I had been
course two years ago."
"Gave a great 'overview' in a language I could understand.
to hear personal stories from instructor and classmates. Relaxed,
fun learning atmosphere."